Special needs and disability


All PhDs, Post-docs and temporary employees are entitled to the same accomodations and suppport as other employees. If you have special needs or require accommodations at your workplace due to a disability, you and your department should contact NTNU’s Occupational Health Service .

Further information about the services available for employees with disabilities at NTNU can be found on Innsida.

Should a health issue or a medical treatment affects your working hours, you should contact Human resources at your department, as it is regulated as a type of sick leave. You will also need to provide medical certification and documentation.

Exams and courses

If you are taking academic courses as part of your program and need special arrangements, you can apply for accommodation and arrangements for courses and exams. The disability office has a page explaining who to contact for each situation and can also support students needing further accomodations.

For exams, an application form filled by you and your doctor should be submitted to the Examination office of your campus before the 15th September for the Fall semester and the 15th February for the Spring semester. The form and contact information about your Examination office can be found on this innsida page.


By law, students’ learning envrionment – in terms of content, tools and losgistics – should be designed in a way that accomodates the needs of as many sutdents as possible (inlcuding students with disabilities). When this ‘universal design’ approach does not adequately address the special needs of individual students, further accomodations should be made.

If you are teaching, you and the the course coordinator have to take these issues into account to ensure that your lectures are inclusive. This page on teaching students with disabilities provides some information about what to consider when teaching students with different types of disabilities. For more specific questions or disabilities that are not covered by this page, you can contact the Special Needs Accommodation Service.

Further resources